Evaluation of antiques is a professional activity of establishing the value of antiques. It is carried out by evaluators - individuals and legal entities - using special rules and techniques. Type of antiques value depends on the objectives of the Appraising (market, investment, collateral, etc.). Works of art, including antiques, are very specific types of property that have a number of properties distinguishing them from such more frequently encountered types of property as real estate, property complexes, cars and equipment, etc. Evaluation of real estate, machinery and equipment, vehicles, land, operating enterprises, etc. is based on well-defined sections of economics.
As for works of art and antiques, there is not yet a theoretical economic basis for evaluating these types of property, and at present, there is no regulation mechanism for this type of evaluation activity. Evaluation of works of art cannot be carried out using generally accepted economic approaches, since there are no general theoretical principles of economic justification necessary to create a methodology for valuing works of art and antiques. The evaluation of this type of value is a specific and unique type of activity based on art and historical research work. Evaluation of works of art, including antiques, is meaningless without establishing the authenticity of the item being evaluated, therefore, before proceeding with the evaluation, our company conducts a comprehensive examination of the property being evaluated. The evaluation of antiques is not only an expert determination of the “right” price, but also the process of creating an evaluation report strictly complying with the Law on valuation activity and the international standards and norms.
The evaluation of antiques is carried out in order to determine:
- transaction prices for purchase and sale;
- collateral amount for lending;
- determination of the state duty for notarial acts (evaluation of antiques for a notary);
- contribution to share capital;
- compensations in litigation;
- insurance amounts.
Evaluation of works of art and antiques often occurs in two stages. The first stage of the evaluation of antiques should begin with the attribution and expert evaluation of the item being evaluated (the object of evaluation) - this is the determination of the origin of the item, its age, and ultimately - confirmation that the item has really an artistic and antiquarian value. Attribution is a procedure that allows determining the author and the time of creation of the object investigated. What should be attributed to the objects of evaluation of works of art and antiques? Obviously, the list of items of cultural value includes things different in content and purpose, which are closely related to the history of a particular people, their culture and national characteristics.
Based on generally accepted concepts, this category of property types includes the following:
- canvas, paintings and drawings entirely handmade on any basis and from any material (except for drawings and industrial products, decorated by hand);
- original works of sculpture of any materials;
- rare manuscripts and incunabulum, old books, documents and publications of particular interest (historical, artistic, scientific, literary, etc.) separately and in collections;
- postage, tax and similar stamps, separately or in collections;
- century-old furniture;
- ancient musical instruments;
- ancient weapons, everyday items of antique age.
The second stage of the evaluation of antiques allows finding out how much the value of the item is today, since prices on the antiques market are more mobile and unpredictable. Factors such as criterion of relictness, affiliation with the manufacturer or author, the number of copies and the time of creation are taken into account while evaluating antiques. But still, the main factor in determining the value of antique remarks is supply and demand. Therefore, auctions, specialized publications and shops play an important role in the field of pricing antiques.
Determination of the market value of works of art
- Determination of the age of work according to the dating characteristics (study of the object by non-destructive method)
- Art expert evaluation (possibly with the involvement of a specialist of the relevant art direction).
- Expert evaluation of the authenticity of the work (attribution).
- Determination of the market value of the work (statistics of transactions with similar items on the world and domestic markets).
- Insurance Appraising of art works.
The cost of services for the evaluation of works of science, literature and art, in each case is calculated individually and depends on the labor cost of the evaluator, the urgency of the work and the composition of documents provided by the Customer for an independent evaluation. Do you need help in evaluating? Contact us via contact information. We hope to see you among our customers!